At BioMed Realty, we strive to be a responsible steward of the earth’s resources by promoting sustainable development practices and operations. In addition, we actively participate and support charitable initiatives and non-profits in our communities that advance healthcare and cutting-edge research. Being a global life science platform for biopharma companies focused on innovative research and drug discovery, we conduct ourselves by the highest standards, informed by our Code of Business Conduct and Ethics that reflect our values and promote honesty, transparency, integrity and accountability. We pledge to continue dedicating our efforts to advance these important initiatives, and we are excited to share our progress with all of our stakeholders.
Sustainable Developments and Operations
We value sustainable practices and consider them a key part of our strategy to grow our business and operations. Our goal is to build state-of-the-art properties that also deliver energy efficient, sustainable solutions to our clients and communities.
- Learn more
leed® certified buildings
In total, we have a portfolio of 2.3m sf of buildings certified by the Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design (LEED®) of the U.S. Green Building Council.
- Learn more
Sustainable Developments & Operations
We have successfully reduced our carbon footprint by 140,000 metric ton equivalent of CO2 emissions annually.
- Learn more
We have implemented transportation programs that have saved an estimated 375 metric tons of carbon dioxide emission.
- Learn more
$50M remediation plans in place for removal and treatment of contaminated soil and hazardous materials to revitalize “brownfield” development sites.
Gateway of Pacific
South San Francisco, CA
Gateway of Pacific is a new landmark, located on the most prominent corner of South San Francisco, featuring a flexible and stimulating work environment in a highly sustainable setting. This fully integrated 2 million square foot multi-phase campus will be constructed to the highest institutional standards, with state-of-the-art building systems, a first-class amenity center, bay and mountain views and premier office and laboratory space.
Among the important sustainability features of Gateway of Pacific are:
- Targeting LEED® Gold certification
- Base-building HVAC with stand-alone air handling units for each building and the amenity center
- Variable refrigeration flow
- High-efficiency and expandable central chilled water plant
- Central chillers to take advantage of diversity and provide redundancy
- Solar panels on amenity center generating on-site renewable energy
- Recycled water from the amenities center reused at the cooling towers
- Water-efficient fixtures in the bathrooms
This 13-story building utilizes innovative, environmentally intelligent design and received the AIA 2004 Excellence in Sustainable Design Award and the AIA COTE 2004 Top Ten Green Projects Award. The building received LEED® Platinum certification.
Among the important sustainability features of 500 Kendall Street are:
- All onsite parking is below grade
- The roof of the building uses plant materials and a reflective surface
- The vegetated roof and skylight rainwater collection system to reduce storm water runoff by 25 percent
- Reflective lighting, controlling indoor lights, and shading with an automated blind system after dark
- Integrated building management system that controls all 30,000 automation points
- Operable windows and lighting controls for perimeter workspaces
- Central 12-story atrium, maximizes natural light and views throughout the interior
- Central heating and cooling systems powered with steam from an adjacent power plant
Center for Life Science | Boston
This 700,000+ square foot research center that includes laboratory and office space in the heart of Boston’s Longwood Medical Area is surrounded by world-class life science research institutions, hospitals and bio/pharma companies. The building received LEED® Gold certification.
Among the important sustainability features of the Center for Life Science | Boston are:
- Improved energy efficiency through technology (SmartStack™) to optimize lab exhaust systems
- Site storm water management
- No surface parking
- Energy Star roofing
- Water use reduction from low flow lavatories and capturing of RODI reject water to serve toilet cores
- Increased ventilation rates by 30% over baseline standards
- Designated area for recycling
- Exterior design and interior design guidelines maximizing availability of daylighting and views
San Diego, CA
This iconic, state-of-the-art campus received LEED® Platinum certification and features lush landscaping, natural light, and three levels of subterranean parking.
Among the important sustainability features of i3 are:
- On-site fuel cell renewable energy generation
- Extensive exterior glazing with operable windows
- Green roof tray system with native sedums and plantings on each of the three buildings
Center for Novel Therapeutics
La Jolla, CA
Located on 30 acres in the heart of the UC San Diego Science Research Park, the Center for Novel Therapeutics features sustainable design and construction in keeping with the shared values of UC San Diego and BioMed Realty. This LEED® Gold certified building also includes many environmentally friendly elements:
- Walking distance from the Blue Line Trolley
- High-efficiency water-cooled central cooling and heating plant with variable frequency drives and a VAV air handling system
- LED light fixtures throughout the building
- Renewable energy from photovoltaic panels and building integrated photovoltaic panels in the glass roof of the atrium
- Recycled water for the cooling tower and landscape irrigation
- Demand responsive controls and ventilation
We succeed through integrity, trust and loyalty. BioMed Realty vigorously opposes discrimination of any kind. We believe in strong respect of the individual, and that diversity in background and experience strengthens the organization. BioMed Realty is committed to supporting the communities in which we work and live. We actively support and participate in creating strong, long-term relationships with non-profit organizations and advance novel life science research and transformative healthcare. Employees’ individual philanthropic efforts receive corporate support through event sponsorship, direct company donations and time off for volunteering.Learn More
About BioMed Realty
Employee benefits and programs
We offer a wide array of employee benefits and programs to assist our employees achieve a proper work-life balance, including:
- Employer-Paid Medical, Dental & Vision Coverage
- Telehealth Connection
- 401(k) Retirement Savings Plan with immediate vesting of the company match
- 100% Employer-Paid Life & AD&D Insurance
- 100% Employer-Paid Short Term Disability
- 100% Employer-Paid Long Term Disability
- Flexible Spending Accounts
- Employee Assistance Program
- Tuition/Certification Reimbursements
- Fitness Classes Onsite
- Departmental Team Outings
Among the 80+ organizations receiving support and sponsorship from us are:
We value strong corporate governance in accordance with all applicable laws, rules, regulations and policies as essential to our mission. We expect our executive management team, our employees and those who we do business to conduct themselves in accordance with the highest moral and ethical standards, informed by robust Codes of Business Conduct and Ethics that reflect our values, and promotes honesty, transparency, integrity and accountability.
Corporate Social ResponsibilityLearn More
BioMed Realty is a portfolio company of Blackstone, one of the world's leading investment firms. Blackstone seeks to create positive economic impact and long-term value for its investors, the companies it invests in, and the communities in which it works.